Skip to main content Skip to main menu Skip to footer

Lost or stolen wallet

Lost or stolen wallet

Decrease Text Size Increase Text Size

Page Article

If you have lost your wallet, it is important to take action as soon as possible to protect yourself from potential identity theft and financial fraud. 

Here are the steps you should take:

  • Contact your financial institution and credit card issuers: Call the customer service numbers for all of the banks, credit unions, and credit card issuers with cards in your wallet. Report that your wallet has been lost or stolen and ask them to cancel your cards and issue new ones. Review your account activity and make sure there are no unauthorized charges.
  • Put a fraud alert on your credit report: Contact one of the credit bureaus and request a fraud alert be placed on your credit report. This alert will make it more difficult for someone to open a new account in your name.
  • Replace your lost items: Contact the necessary agencies or offices to get replacement identification cards, such as your driver's license, health insurance card, and passport.
  • Keep an eye on your accounts: Monitor your bank, credit union, and credit card statements closely for any unusual activity. Be vigilant for any signs of identity theft or fraud, such as unauthorized purchases or new accounts opened in your name.
  • Check your credit report: Request a copy of your credit report from one of the major credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, or TransUnion) and review it for any unusual activity or accounts that you did not open.  Check your credit report at
  • File a police report: If your wallet contained any government-issued identification, such as a driver's license, you should report the loss to the police. A police report may also be helpful if someone tries to use your identity.

What to do if your lost or stolen wallet contains:

  • Passport - Call the State Department at 1-877-487-2778 or TTY 1-888-874-7793. If you want to replace the passport, you have several options:
    • If you are traveling within the next two weeks, make an appointment to apply in person at a Passport Agency or Center .
    • If you are not traveling within two weeks, submit Form DS-11 and DS-64 in person at an authorized Passport Application Acceptance Facility.
  • Credit and ATM/debit cards - Report the loss or theft to the card issuers as quickly as possible. Learn more
  • Social Security card - If you have lost your Social Security card, you need to get in contact with the Social Security Administration. Learn more
  • Driver's License - Procedures for reporting and replacing driver’s licenses vary from state to state. Learn more
  • Checks - Call or contact your financial institution immediately. If the check hasn't already been cashed, then you can request that they put a stop payment on it. It's a formal request that the check not be paid out by the bank if it's deposited or presented to be cashed. Learn more
  • Green card - If you've lost your green card, go to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website to apply for a replacement card.
  • Insurance cards - If medical, auto, or other insurance cards are lost or stolen, contact your insurance companies. If you are concerned about unauthorized claims being filed on your account ask about a replacement policy number.
  • Membership cards - For library cards, gym cards, and other membership cards, contact the issuer.

Page Footer has no content