Skip to main content Skip to main menu Skip to footer

Report unemployment fraud

Report unemployment fraud

Decrease Text Size Increase Text Size

Page Article

Signs that you may be a victim of unemployment identity theft

Most victims of unemployment identity theft are unaware that claims have been filed and/or that benefits have been collected using their identities. Many people only find out unemployment identity theft occurred when they receive something in the mail, such as a payment or state-issued 1099-G tax form that’s incorrect or for benefits not received.
  • Reporting unemployment fraud - For information and reporting other types of unemployment fraud, including claimant fraud or employer fraud, visit the U.S. Department Of Labor Unemployment Fraud page.
  • Reporting unemployment identity theft - Report unemployment identity theft to the state where it occurred. Use the State Directory for Reporting Unemployment Identity Theft to report it to the state.
    • You may not receive an immediate confirmation from the state when you submit a report. Time estimates for how long this process takes vary by state.
    • The state may require additional documentation (like filing a police report or a sworn affidavit) in order to open an investigation; they will review your case and make a determination. Each state has different requirements and a different process for investigating identity theft.
    • If you received a 1099-G tax form for benefits you didn’t receive, the state will need to issue you a corrected 1099-G tax form and will update the tax record with the IRS on your behalf.
You may be a victim of unemployment identity theft if you received:
  • Mail from a government agency about an unemployment claim or payment and you did not recently file for unemployment benefits. This includes unexpected payments or debit cards and could be from any state.
  • An IRS Form 1099-G reflecting unemployment benefits you weren't expecting. Box 1 on this form may show unemployment benefits you did not receive or an amount that exceeds your records for the unemployment benefits you did receive. The form itself may be from a state in which you did not file for benefits.
  • While you are still employed, a notice from your employer indicating that your employer received a request for information about an unemployment claim in your name.

Page Footer has no content